Saturday, January 19, 2008

"The Good Life" by EL (1.1.08)

This morning I rise
at the scheduled time
only to realize that my
sole obligation for the day
is to throw my cares away
all meetings would convene
on beaches of soft white sand
anyway.

I look at my blackberry pearl
void of a signal
and decide my iphone
will only be useful
to capture stills
or moving visuals.

My wardrobe will
consist of a bathing suit,
towel and sandals.
But my laptop and grip
bereaved
as I am no longer in need
of their mobile, digital
companionship.

I am finally free
from all that constrains me
all that detains me
and keeps me too busy
to find my personal sanctity

I was nearly forgetting
how to appreciate
my surroundings
when everything
around me
in surround sound
was like a cacophony
that overpowered
and nearly drowned me

Now I am floating
on a glass bottom boat in
the middle of the Caribbean Sea
jumping head first into oceans
pregnant with tropical life
swimming among brilliant colors
darting and weaving before me

All the while
the sun like a playful child
beats on my back
bronzing my skin with its
natural replenishments
as its cousin the wind
wisps past my smile
reminding me that
the air is alive

Carrying on its heels
the rhythmic pentameter
of the steel pan
with its feverish drummer
creating as many sounds
with the sweat that
dripped from his brow
as his sticks that
he beat out loud

I can now be found
swaying to the infectious music
while sweet juices drip
from the mango
to my finger tips
leaving a shine on my lips
all amidst
an outer-body experience
that has overtaken
my waist and hips

I am in the moment
trying to burn this feeling
of solitude in my mind
taking time to notice
each bird of paradise
before this utopia
is left behind.

Realizing that all the hard work
the struggle, the grit, and grind
affords me a luxury suite
with a balcony
overlooking the sea
wrapped from due east to due west
that's all mine,

Lined with beautiful people,
reclined seats,
bountiful food,
and glasses of wine
allowing us to
be enveloped by
the warm breeze
as we watch the
sun shimmer
as day turns to night

Ahhhh...
So this is what it really
means to live
when you are truly living
-
The Good Life.


© 2008 EL



Good Life Festival 2008 - St. Maarten, Dutch Caribbean

Good Life Festival 2008 - The premier young professionals' getaway

No comments:

Disclaimer

All images on goodlifefest.blogspot.com are readily available on the Internet and believed to be in public domain.